Givaudan Active Beauty launches B-Biome™ Score, the first scientifically proven, 100% transparent and microbiome-friendly label for cosmetic ingredients
Givaudan Active Beauty sets a new standard in the skin microbiome field with the launch of B-Biome™ Score. Fully transparent and accessible across the beauty industry, the B-Biome™ Score label is microbiome-friendly and scientifically demonstrated, backed by a scientific publication(1) and endorsed by a dermatological expert. For greater accessibility and understanding, the results of the B-Biome™ Score are indicated by letters ranging from A to E.
In recent years, consumers have become familiar with the skin microbiome trend whose benefits are now in high demand. A recent global study(2) conducted by Givaudan Active Beauty demonstrated that 84% of consumers found the B-Biome™ Score certificate innovative; 79% of those surveyed would be willing to buy a beauty product that carries it.
Givaudan build on their knowledge and innovation in the skin microbiome to develop new ingredients. Developed by the experts at their Centre of Excellence in Microbiomics in Toulouse, France, B-Biome™ Score offers a scientifically proven evaluation method in an open format, allowing beauty brands to quickly understand the impact of active ingredients on the skin microbiome.
B-Biome™ Score leverages advanced dermatological expertise to determine the final score of a given active ingredient based on three scientific criteria:
- Short-term impact after one application on the skin
- Cumulative impact after several days’ application on the skin
- Resilience of microbial viability after stopping application
Proof positive of Givaudan’s commitment to offer the best and microbiome-friendly ingredients on the cosmetic market, B-Biome™ Score will progressively be adopted to their portfolio of active ingredients.
(1) MDPI, Cosmetics 2023 – Rehabilitation of skin bacterial counts to assess the short-term impact of ingredients in topical applications – presenting a culture-based viability score.
(2) Givaudan Active Beauty CMI study – Microbiome certification, April 2023 – USA | Brazil | France | Germany | China (national representative) – 1816 consumers (70% women, 30% men) aged 18 ~ 55, beauty product users.