Agar agar is a hydrocolloid derived from seaweed. It is a mixture of a neutral, dominating polysaccharide called "Agarose" and a charged polymer called "Agaropectin". Agar is a hydrophilic low calorie dietetic fiber.
Among the properties of agar agar are the following:
• agar agar can gelify or thicken products starting at 0,04%.
• agar gels are formed without any addition of chemicals or organics.
• they are formed independently of the pH or the contained solid matter.
• agar agar has high gelation hysteresis.
• agar agar is thermoreversible.
• it has excellent resistance to enzymatic hydrolysis
• agar agar is compatible with proteins and other hydrocolloids.
• agar agar has good flavour release.
More information: contact Alsiano